Judah has had several high fevers in his first 21 months, relative to our experience with Gabriel anyway. Back in February after a round of vaccinations his fever shot up to around 105 the next day, prompting the doctor to strip his clothes off and put a cold compress on his head as soon as we walked into the office.
So this time, as he seemed to be getting sick with what appeared to be a cold and cough we were keeping a close watch on him. Andy was away at a work retreat so I was home alone with the boys. I noticed through dinner that Judah seemed particularly droopy and uninterested in eating. I knew he didn't feel well. I had been tracking his does of motrin and tylenol to manage the fever, so when I checked and he was over 103 with 3 hours to go until I could give him anything, I called the doctor to see if there was anything else I could do. Before the doctor could call me back (it was after hours) his fever spiked to 106 and he passed out in my arms and started convulsing. He was having a seizure. I scooped him up, called Andy quickly to say "I'm calling 911, come home!" then I called 911. The few minutes it took for the first responders to arrive felt like an eternity. As Judah continued to convulse, his eyes rolled back in his head and his skin burning hot, I thought he was dying in my arms. Then he stopped breathing and his lips turned blue. I was on the phone with the 911 operator trying to hold it together as she gave me tips on helping him breath until the paramedics arrived. Meanwhile, Gabriel is running through the house screaming as loud as he can out of sheer fright and panic. Finally I get a little color back into Judah's face as he breathes shallowly and the paramedics arrive.
They check his vitals and put him on oxygen, tell me to grab my things the ambulance is waiting for us. The three of us climb into the ambulance, me cradling Judah in my arms while Gabriel gets strapped into the jump seat. As we ride to the hospital the paramedic asks me for all of the details. By the time we arrive at the hospital, Judah is awake and breathing but otherwise pretty motionless. They take us back immediately to be seen where they confirm he has had a febrile seizure, the body's natural reaction to a quick temperature spike. We were assured that no brain damage was caused and that he would be fine, they just needed to get his fever down. Finally Andy made it to us, his retreat was 2 hours away up in the mountains. Our neighbor came to pick up Gabriel for the night and we were released sometime around 1am. We took Judah home and proceeded to watch him sleep until dawn. He woke up groggy but showing improvement.
This was one of the scariest times of my life, holding my child and thinking he is dying. We are so thankful he is okay!
Monday, August 19, 2013
Friday, August 16, 2013
More Camping: Mt. Evans
Since our first (experimental) camping trip was a success, we decided to actually go to the mountains and try camping. Mt. Evans is the highest summit in its mountain range and one of the famous "14ers" of Colorado. It is also located in a really beautiful area that includes Echo Lake and a few campgrounds, as well as scenic drives and views all around. Sounds like a winner, right? Here is what the view from Mt. Evans typically looks like:
May I remind you that it is August? And I should also note that we decided, since the boys did so well and since we are driving 2 hours into the mountains, that we also booked two nights at the camp ground. So imagine our thoughts when we finally make it to the top after miles of winding, climbing road only to see this:
That's correct. A snow storm. And it was incredibly windy too, be could barely hold the car door open to get out. Granted, we were camping at the base of Mt. Evans not at the top, but still this is not what you want on an overnight camping trip.
Disappointed that we couldn't explore around the summit and enjoy the views, we headed back down the mountain to check in and set up our camp. I should mentioned that we went to the trouble of bringing our canoe but were told as we entered the Mt. Evans area that we were not allowed to use it on any of the area lakes. Perfect.
![]() |
| See, we were ready and everything! |
At the camp site it was definitely chilly, but not snowing and not too windy. The boys were excited to run around in the woods and collect sticks for the fire. Andy and I found it mildly annoying that a) the camp sites were really close together and b) the forest ranger was really intrusive and nosy, but we decided to make the best of it and set up the tent and everything. We left the camp site for a bit to explore the area and go see Echo Lake, which is really beautiful, but everyone was getting hungry so we headed back.
![]() |
| Boys and dirt - it doesn't take long |
![]() |
| So happy gathering fire wood |
![]() |
| Of course we brought Tsali along (hate to say it, but it's nice just having one dog to keep up with) |
![]() |
| Judah did NOT want to wear shoes |
![]() |
| Drinking seltzer from a can was apparently the best thing ever |
While we were thankful that the snow storm stayed atop Mt. Evans, it did get down to about 35 overnight and we were all pretty cold and miserable. We decided to spend the next day exploring, which we would have done anyway, but instead of staying the night we planned to go back home. The boys are just not old (or rugged) enough to handle the cold. Why should they be, they are 4 and 21 months old! Still a success in our book. I took the boys all around Echo Lake while Andy broke down the camp site and we enjoyed some really beautiful nature. We hit a few places of interest along the way home too, and were very grateful to be in our beds when night time rolled around!
| Brothers taking it all in at Echo Lake |
| This was a forest trail around the lake |
| We stopped at St. Mary's Glacier on the way home ... clearly camping and hiking make Judah tired! |
Twenty One Months
Ok, so I am not going to lie, this post has been sitting in draft form for over a year. Apparently I jotted down some notes about Judah at this age and never got any further. So, I am literally just going to leave it in my note form. Good luck deciphering :)
I need socks
I need shoe on
I go down the stairs
excuse me please
bless you
turn the water off
put it back
I put it right here
have a seat
- prays at dinner
sheets=sheeps
reciting nursery rhymes (ring around the rosy, twinkle twinkle little star, and itsy bitsy spider)
- mastering door knobs
I need socks
I need shoe on
I go down the stairs
excuse me please
bless you
turn the water off
put it back
I put it right here
have a seat
- prays at dinner
sheets=sheeps
reciting nursery rhymes (ring around the rosy, twinkle twinkle little star, and itsy bitsy spider)
- mastering door knobs
Thursday, August 1, 2013
Quandary Peak
In Colorado, hiking a "14er" is a matter of pride and always a source of bragging. But not in an annoying way. There happen to be many mountains that are 14,000 feet high or higher, so there is no shortage of opportunity. People treat 14ers kind of like a bucket list, keeping track of every one climbed and marking them off the list. Andy and I have been wanting to attempt a 14er since moving here, and really this summer is the first opportunity to do so. Let me preface this post with stating that I have no idea what we were thinking when we planned to hike our first 14er WITH OUR CHILDREN. Rookie mistake number 1. Insanity. So this is how it went down.
We chose Quandary Peak because it had class 1 and 2 climbs (I think the scale goes up to 7, so we thought this would be easier). First of all, this "scale" is custom calibrated to who I can only assume are native Coloradans who grew up hiking mountains. More on that later. We also thought it would be brilliant to take the shortest route up (2 miles) so the boys would make it instead of taking the long way up (7 miles). The short route up is steeper. We didn't see this as an issue, it's classes 1 and 2 after all. Clearly we over-thought this, what like we were outsmarting the mountain? Rookie mistake number 2.
So we arrive at the upper parking lot, instantly noticing the chill in the air for a bright and sunny August morning. We had all dressed in layers, but were still surprised at how cool it felt. We gazed up tot the top of the peak, envisioning our family summitting in about two hours. It did look quite steep, but we were not deterred. After loading Judah up in the hiking pack/child carrier, we took one last look up and just chose a spot to start to make our way to the top. Did I mention there are NO TRAILS when you hike a 14er? Yea, you just kind of make your way up.
At what feels about halfway up, we stop for a snack and to take in the breathtaking views. The boys are still in good spirits, and although it has already been a bit of a harder climb than we anticipated, we are all having fun. When we look down to see where our car is parked it is clear how steep the mountain is; a bit dizzying really. We finish up the snack and get back to climbing. It's still sunny out and the chill has been offset by the workout.
We keep looking up at the peak, it seems so close. But the further we hike up, the peak seems to stay the same distance from us. As we leave the part of the mountain that has any vegetation and proceed to a distinctly more rocky grade, Gabriel begins to tire. We assure him that he is doing great and we can't be too far from the peak. At this point, the gross geology that stands before us requires us to use our HANDS AND FEET to make any progress up. Let us revisit that scale I mentioned earlier. Class 1 is "regular" hiking, while classes 2 and 3 are "scramblers". This means you have to use your hands and feet because the grade is so steep it's the only way to literally climb up. So here we are, using our hands and feet to continue to climb up, even Gabriel. And Andy has Judah on his back. We are starting to doubt our ability to pull this off. We should have turned around then. Rookie mistake number 3.
We kept climbing, rocks slipping under our feet now. Gabriel is hanging on to me while I climb and Andy is still managing with Judah. The peak is finally moving toward us, which fueled our insanity and determination to reach the top. It's also been nearly 3 hours now, an hour past when we thought we would be at the top.
We are several hundred feet away from the peak, all very tired, but we figure we've made it this far. Suddenly, the skies grew black, the wind picked up, and it began to rain. Literally, out of nowhere. This is the nature of hiking high peaks, the weather changes drastically and without warning. We should have known that. Rookie mistake number 4. Before we even have time to consider what to do next, Mother Nature gives us our answer by providing HAIL. Yes, that's right we are perched on the side of a mountain at over 13,000 feet and it is hailing on us, with zero cover. Panic. Sheer panic. We have to get back down as soon as possible, we have no idea what else this storm will bring and Andy and I realize how limited we are to protect the boys. The gravity of our decisions is sinking in. Somehow Andy and I manage to hold it together for the boys, constantly reassuring the, as we literally slide back down everything we have just climbed up. The weather gets worse and we realize we've made another mistake. Nobody knows where we are. We didn't tell a single soul what we were doing that day, one of the biggest mistakes a hiker can make. Upon this realization, and acknowledging that we may need professional help down this mountain, I decide to leave Andy with the boys and book it as fast as I can down the mountain to send help back up, or at least to get cell service to call for help.
The fastest way down is on my rear end, so I slide and skip and hop along the rocks, leaving my family behind. Very soon I can't see or hear them anymore, along on the mountain. Naturally, horrible events are flashing in my mind as I make haste downward. What if something happens to Andy and the boys? What if I can't get back to them? I keep checking my phone for reception, and finally I reach a point where I have one tiny bar. Miraculously at this point, the hail cleared and the wind blew the clouds away. I decided to call a friend and tell her that if she didn't hear from me again in 30 minutes to call emergency services. I went back up to find my family, heart racing.
As I climbed and clamored my way back up, I kept calling out to Andy, hoping to hear from him that he and the boys were fine. Each time my calls were met with silence. Where are they?? I kept hiking up and calling out, when finally I heard them. RELIEF. My family was safe. Andy had managed to pretty much keep Judah on his back (thankfully he had a rain screen) and hold Gabriel in his hands in front of him and guide him down the mountain. Steep, slippery rocks, hail and wind and all. Amazing.
Gabriel was pretty shaken up by the time we all headed down together. We continued to reassure him and we prayed A LOT. Initially, when it started hailing, we told him God would protect us and we would just keep praying all the way down the mountain. In a moment of clarity he exclaimed "He did it, God protected us! He send the storm away and brought back the sun!" Indeed, He did. Even though this was the result of mine and Andy's poor planning, I was reassured by the impact it made on Gabriel in terms of relying on the Lord. We were literally calling out to Him and he heard our prayer and answered it. Gabriel began to recount stories from the Bible where God protected people, like Noah and ark. Unexpectedly, he expressed his desire to meet Jesus and said he hoped he would see God in heaven soon. He also told us that he was in heaven before God gave him to Andy and me and that he loved it there and he can't wait to go back. We were taken aback a bit by his words, but he clearly felt so connected to God after this experience, it was hard to dispute his desire to leave earth.
As we slowly made our way down, the climb got easier and easier and we made our way down to the parking lot. We passed quite a few people who were on their way up and I found myself thinking "if only these people knew what we just went through". The whole experience was surreal. When I stepped my foot down the last time at the foot of the mountain, I let out a sigh of relief. We were safe. Praise Jesus. We sat by the water on some rocks and had some more snacks before we headed back to the car. After a short while, the boys had completely rebounded and were running around laughing. Andy and I exchanged several glances that said "oh my gosh, what did we just do?"
Back in the car, we headed to the closest ski town to grab some dinner. Yes, it was nearly dinner time by the time it was all said and done. About 8 hours. We found this little cafe, ordered the boys macaroni and cheese, had a beer and thanked God we were alive. Afterward we found a local bakery and all got some cookies. We had earned them after all. We were both so sore from the climb, I could barely walk. It felt nice to sit for the two hour drive home and let my body relax. This was an experience I will never forget for the rest of my life.
![]() |
| View from the bottom looking up. |
| The boys are ready to go! |
![]() |
| About halfway up. You can barely see the cars down in the lot. |
![]() |
| This is what class 2 looks like |
![]() |
| From blue skies to this, in a matter of minutes. |
| Right when we decided to turn around, we estimate about 13,800 ft up. |
| Resting by the lake once we got back to the bottom. |
| Time to go home. |
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)






























